Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes, We Did!


Memorable moments from last night's nonstop election coverage:

1. The Obamas are going to be the most attractive family in the White House since the Kennedys. They are just so nice to look at — elegant and genuinely affectionate with one another.

2. How did Jesse Jackson get a ticket for the Grant Park event? Was he in the Hating Section? In any case, those tears looked real to me.

3. McCain gave an graceful concession speech that struck the right tone. He sounded like the guy I remember from his 2000 campaign, and that was kinda bittersweet.

4. Who came up with that ridiculous CNN hologram concept? I didn't need to see Will.i.am "beamed" into the studio with Anderson Cooper.

5. I'm pretty sure this is the first time a round of the electric slide has broken out following an Electoral College vote tally. The scene in Harlem was classic.

6. At the risk of sounding naive about the state of race relations, I was moved by the sheer diversity of the Grant Park crowd. And that's not even counting the diversity in age, sexual orientation and socioeconomic status.

7. Speaking of crowd scenes, how cool was it to see the cheering in Sydney, Tokyo and beyond? That might have more to do with Bush than Obama, but still.

8. I know they have to give us something, but the networks drove me crazy with announcements like this: "Well, 3 percent of the votes in Ohio have been tallied, and so far ..."

9. I honestly felt a little bad for the subdued McCain supporters at campaign headquarters. I know that feeling, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Except Karl Rove.

10. It was surreal to watch the nation turn a page in our political and racial history. It will be years before we know the real impact of an Obama presidency, but for the moment, I am thrilled.

3 comments:

T.H. Elliott said...

I really liked Obama's acceptance speech. I got a little misty. It made me proud to be an American, and I've never really been patriotic.

E. Peterman said...

I know exactly what you mean. I am skeptical by nature, but last night, I just wanted to high-five everybody. President Obama. Wow.

The Irredeemable Shag said...

Sorry for the lateness of my comments.

It was a great night! Comedy Central was hilarious! Obama and McCain's speeches were a perfect ending to 22 months of waiting.

I'm glad you mentioned the footage from other countries. The cheering around the world almost seemed like one of those montage scenes from disaster movies where they show all the countries of the world celebrating that the meteor didn't destroy the Earth.

The Irredeemable Shag
http://onceuponageek.com