Thursday, November 20, 2008

What Is The Point Of A Blog?

Reading this post from career blogger Penelope Trunk made me feel like a gigantic slacker. She's talking about "blogging from the edge" and "generating traffic," and it's just exhausting. I should point out that she also makes six figures from her blog.

I have no interest in generating income or buzz from what is essentially an outlet for my ADD. I haven't even told all of my friends about my blog's existence. The writing I do for work is very specific, so I thought blogging would be a fun way to keep the creative juices flowing. I have no delusions of a book deal or a sit-down with Jon Stewart. I will never be blog-famous like Trunk or Heather Armstrong, and I'm cool with that. Mostly.

I'm just curious about what others think about the nature of blogging, and if goal-setting should be part of the formula. My only goal is to be coherent and to spell the words correctly.

3 comments:

Healthy Heather said...

Since I haven't written in my "other blog" for over a month, I have chosen to believe that the point of a blog is to spew out random thoughts when the mood strikes and time allows. :) It's a nice little collection place for miscellaneous soapbox ramblings.

E. Peterman said...

I like the way you think. I need a soapbox at all times!

The Irredeemable Shag said...

I started off geek-blogging (yes, it's a disease) as a soapbox. I kept an eye on the number of hits I got, just to see if I was wasting my time entirely. Then my Marketing background slowly seeped into my thoughts. Now I do promote my blog to a few geek sites. The main reason is to generate some discussion with like-minded or opposed individuals.

... and to be honest there is a small component from the Marketing Degree holder inside of me who wants to see how many hits I can get. I know, typical competitive guy. Bash away. :)

The Irredeemable Shag
http://onceuponageek.com