Monday, June 9, 2008

Take A Girl To See "Kung Fu Panda"


If Jack Black and Angelina Jolie are in the same movie, I'm automatically there. But I enjoyed "Kung Fu Panda" even more than I expected to. It's funny and well-written, and it's the most gorgeously animated Dreamworks movie yet. My kids loved it, but they also loved "Underdog." Their opinion doesn't count.

I admit to having a girl crush on Jolie (every straight woman has one), and I especially liked her character, Master Tigress. Tigress is one of the legendary Furious Five kung fu masters, and the most badass. She's fearless, intimidating and kind of a bitch. Black's character, Po, practically wilts under her orange-eyed Glare of Disapproval. She could snap his neck with one paw, and he knows it. Also on the team is the dainty but deadly Master Viper, voiced by Lucy Liu.

My daughter is at the age where she's stuck on the Princess Channel, so it's cool when she can see "girls" being strong and capable. When I get my monthly "Wonder Woman" comic, we often read it together.

She wants Master Tigress and Master Viper action figures. I wonder if Barbie is destined for a beatdown. All in good fun, of course.

No comments: