Saturday, September 27, 2008

R.I.P. Paul Newman


About 10 years years ago, I went through a phase of watching iconic actors in their prime: Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate" and "Midnight Cowboy;" Marlon Brando in "A Streetcar Named Desire;" Robert DeNiro in "Taxi Driver." One of those movies was "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," starring Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman. The movie isn't great, but the sheer physical beauty of Taylor and Newman in it is stunning. Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey? Please. It's a cliche to say they don't make film stars like that anymore, but it's also true.

3 comments:

Zil said...

I thought the same thing the first time I saw Cool Hand Luke. He was just so cool, and so pretty to look at. Those eyes, and the way he was rocking that work camp denim. And then you top it off with a happy marriage of 50 years and his ridiculous amount of charity work...yeah, I think they definitely broke the mold.

E. Peterman said...

The eyes! I always read that they were even more striking in person — and that he really was as decent as he seemed. I just put a bunch of his movies in my Netflix queue, including "Cool Hand Luke."

Healthy Heather said...

Luckily, they still make salad dressing like that anymore.