Saturday, August 9, 2008

Where Is Wonder Woman's Movie?


Even non-geeks can tell you that the three most important figures in the D.C. universe are Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Both Superman and Batman have had major movie franchises in their name since I was a kid. You see where I'm going with this.

The studio decision-makers can't claim audiences don't like action movies about stunning women."Tomb Raider" and the first "Charlie's Angels" seemed to do pretty well. I also find it hard to believe that no one has been able to come up with a serviceable script. (I'd love to have seen Joss Whedon's fish-out-of-water take on the character, but that ship has sailed.)

Wonder Woman hasn't always had the best scripts at her disposal, but George Perez and Greg Rucka did an exceptional job during their runs. Now that Gail Simone is taking a crack at the character, there's more interest in WW than I can remember in a long time.

So we've got action, Greek/superhero mythology, a beloved character who happens to be drop-dead gorgeous, and rich source material. I'm not sure how much depth she has as an actress, but Meagan Fox ("Transformers") is physically perfect for the role.

Hollywood, what gives?

5 comments:

Sghoul said...

Methinks they are waiting for the JLA movie.

Regardless, they won't cast her right.

E. Peterman said...

Ugh, the JLA movie. They're gonna screw that up, aren't they? I keep saying that so I won't be disappointed.

Christina said...

I would have thought an X-Men movie would suck, and it turned out all right. Keep the faith!

Wonder Woman looks super sexy in that picture.

E. Peterman said...

That's Adam Hughes, girl. He draws her so purty!

The Irredeemable Shag said...

The JLA movie will most definitely screw up any chances of a Wonder Woman movie (primarily because it will blow worse than Katrina).

And while I've been a huge proponent of Meagan Fox as ... well ... just about anything that puts her in skimpy clothes ... I don't think she would be able to act the role very well. :(

Here's hoping the animated DVD will do really well and give the studio execs the light bulb they need.

The Irredeemable Shag
http://onceuponageek.com