Friday, August 15, 2008

Dear George Lucas: We're Through

I'm marking today date as the official start date of my indifference to George Lucas' projects. A new "Star Wars" film hit theaters today, and I don't even care. This is huge.

My son is over the moon about the animated "Clone Wars" flick, but he also wanted to see "Space Chimps." I'm so done with Lucas that I've asked my husband to take the kids without me. Through his crappy prequels and endless DVD re-releases of the originals, Lucas has all but killed my ardor for the franchise. It's his, so he can do what he wants. But I don't have to pretend to enjoy it.

In 1999, I sat through "The Phantom Menace" twice, trying to convince myself that it was good. When I looked over at my co-worker and fellow "SW" fanatic, G., I could tell he was doing the same: Trying to like it. Trying hard. I didn't expect the same cracked-out rush I had when I saw "Star Wars" for the first time at age 7, but I wasn't even entertained.

Lucas got me again with "Attack of the Clones" ("I don't like sand..."). "Revenge of the Sith" was all right, but when I look back, the only thing I really dug about episodes 1-3 was Ewan McGregor. The final light saber battle with Anakin was on point, but that's, what, 10 minutes? When the final credits rolled, I sat in the theater thinking, "I'm supposed to believe (or care) that Anakin's bad dreams about Padme led him to ruin? That's it?!"

I hate that it's come to this, but I have to get out with my dignity intact. At least I have the Cartoon Network DVDs (which were fantastic) to comfort me.

5 comments:

That Hank said...

He's sort of the walking example of the phrase "You should have stopped while you were ahead."

E. Peterman said...

Exactly! He had one good idea, but he can't stop milking it. Time to admit that he's not Scorcese. Or even McG at this point.

The Irredeemable Shag said...

I've heard the term "accidental classic" bantered around regarding his original trilogy. I think it's pretty fitting given his later work.

I just bought my step-son a "Clone Wars Adventures" graphic novel. It's a collection of Dark Horse comics based upon the previous Cartoon Network Clone Wars mini-cartoons. I hope he likes it. It's probably leaps and bounds above the current theater release.

Just to give you some closure, Lucas is talking about re-releasing the original trilogy again. This time in ... 3-D. Yup.

He must be stopped.

The Irredeemable Shag
http://onceuponageek.com

Sghoul said...

If should be acomfort that apparently MANY people agree. Clone Wars came in at #3. The only knew kids movie and it got beat by a comedy (a GREAT comedy mind you) and a movie that has been out for a month (an GREAT movie mind you).

I think lucas thinks that 3D will take the actor out of the equation. He has said before that he doesn't direct actors well. Sadly, this shows how crappy he really is. His actors are what made the first movies great. And as EDP said, Ewan was probably the best thing about the prequels.

Sorry, but film making and story telling have passed this man by.

E. Peterman said...

I couldn't agree more. I've defended him for a long time, but it's clear that he had one good idea and couldn't let it go. He's trampled on his legacy, and while I'm all for good animated movies, I feel like he's just pandering to kids who don't know any better.