Monday, April 13, 2009

"Star Trek:" I'm Officially Excited


I hope no one takes away my geek card for saying this, but "Star Trek" never quite captured my imagination. While I appreciated its impact on the sci-fi genre and its progressive view of humanity, I never became a big fan of the TV series, films or books.

However, I am all kinds of stoked about the new "Star Trek" film, which opens May 8. The fast-paced, whiz-bang trailers are pretty much perfect for a blockbuster popcorn movie. And since I'm not wed to the source material, there isn't nearly as much at stake for me as for my Trekker friends. I get to just sit back and watch stuff blow up without fretting about departures from the canon. The buzz has been good-to-great, and the cast members are cute as buttons. I predict there will be sequels and the usual complaints from my 9-year-old about how "all the good movies are PG-13."

Between this and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," the month of May is looking fantastic.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Zoe Saldana you say? I'm there...

Sghoul said...

I can totally see how old star trek wouldn't be for everyone. But this new movie seems to try to meld people's desire for real action with the old school franchise. And I trust the guy producing. Will totally check this out.

E. Peterman said...

LOL! I forgot to refer to Zoe as "my brother's future baby's mama." She is lovely, and I'm glad she's getting work in a major film. And yes — I like how they're trying to make this an updated action flick that everyone can embrace. I think it's gonna do really well.

That Hank said...

I was only so-so on the original Trek, but in my teens I watched Next Generation religiously, and I will always have a soft spot for that chunk of the sf world. So, yeah, I'm totally looking forward to this flick. I think Zachary Quinto will be a super awesome Spock.

E. Peterman said...

I agree. He's a good actor and he's got the look down pat.

That Hank said...

I was an obsessive Heroes watcher, then I missed three weeks in a row this past season and had to give it up.

T.H. Elliott said...

The newest trailer looks pretty impressive. I can't wait.