Thursday, January 22, 2009
Random Inaugural Thoughts
1. I have talked to many people who were a little nervous every time President(!) Obama got out of the car. People of a certain age, like my mom, were both thrilled and deeply worried.
2. I totally got that the Rev. Joseph Lowery was being humorous with benediction poem, but I also predicted that the "when white will embrace what's right" portion would go over like a lead balloon with many observers. I've heard different versions of that color riff many times ("If you're black get back. If you're brown, stick around. If you're white, you're all right."), and Lowery is from an era when it applied. I think the "Obama's America off to racist start!" headlines are a bit over the top.
3. Can I just say that the president and first lady appear to have a totally hot marriage? Their body language during the first dance was tender, sweet and indicative of a healthy relationship, if you know what I mean.
4. Aretha Franklin never disappoints with her WTF? wardrobe, and that gigantic church lady hat was quite the spectacle. It probably cost more than my car, even if it was, in the words of my friend J., "bedazzled."
5. Sasha and Malia are the most adorable kids in the White House since John-John and Caroline. And how cute is it that the Jonas Brothers surprised them and their friends with a performance at the end of a scavenger hunt?
6. Speaking of performances, I heart Beyonce, but I wish Etta James had been tapped to sing "At Last." Granted, Sasha Fierce lobbied for the gig and did a fine job, but I can't help but think it would have meant more to Etta.
7. One of the most touching moments was when the camera panned to some Tuskegee Airmen in the crowd. Read more about them here.
8. Michelle always looks glamorous, but Jill Biden was no slouch when it was time to bring out the evening gowns. As Dlisted's Michael K put it, "She looked really hot. Got Dayum! She looked like she was ready for a catfight on a soap opera. I was waiting for Susan Lucci to come out and pull her hair. It could have used a few more sparkles, but besides that, it was perfect."
9. Every time the camera panned to W., I wondered what he was thinking.