Friday, January 2, 2009

A Few Thoughts On 2009

Off the top of my head, here are few things I want to do, or do better, in 2009.

1. Accept that fitness is a journey, not a destination: I went for a power walk yesterday, and it struck me that I am now the kind of person who goes for power walks on a holiday. I savored that for one minute, then thought about the fact that exercising vigorously and eating mindfully are two things I'm gonna have to do for the rest of my life. I am not at my goal weight yet, but I am roughly 20 pounds closer than I was a year ago.

2. Stop whining about work: I have a job, which is more than a lot of people can say right now. I get caught up in the Oprah ideal of finding my "soul's true purpose" or whatever, but sometimes it's good to be grateful for what you have.

3. Read better comics: I bought a lot of crap in 2008, mostly on autopilot. But the major comics publishers are going to have to work a little harder for my money this year, and I'm going to try not to be an "event" sheep.

4. Take better photos: I have a very good point-and-shoot, but there is an SLR with my name on it. However, I can't justify buying it until I've tapped my current camera's full potential. There is quite a bit to learn.

5. Relax a little about parenting, especially where my oldest child is concerned: This is probably about as likely as me taking up parasailing, but I can try, right? I am a worrier by nature, and a friend once told me that my iron-willed, high-decibel son was "possibly the worst kind of child for someone with a personality like yours." He didn't mean that my kid was a jerk, but that I was going to have to take the hand-wringing down a few notches.

6. Get out of town more: Traveling solo and with my family this fall/winter was excellent therapy for me. More, please.

7. Be kind when I don't feel like it: I think I'm pretty kind most of the time, but I have a tendency to frost over when people become passive aggressive or behave like 4-year-olds (especially if they are not 4). I'm going to work on taking the high road a little more often.

8. Enjoy the good relationships I've built over the years: I did some pruning in 2008, and I can truly say that the people who are in my life now are there because I want them to be. Friendship is a gift, and I'd like to give as much as I receive.

I'm sure I'll think of something else.

5 comments:

Christina said...

Visit New York!

E. Peterman said...

Yes! That, too!

That Hank said...

Actually meet face to face!

E. Peterman said...

Yes! At a pub near you! We will make both of these things happen.

That Hank said...

Just name a time!