Friday, July 24, 2009

Why Didn't I Think Of This?

Anyone who has planned a wedding knows that there's a point at which any sense of fun feels far, far away. The details, the managing of expectations and the family wrangling are enough to make a sane person run to the nearest courthouse. And considering the cost, more of us probably should have.

That's why I am so taken with the now-famous video of Jill Peterson and Kevin Heinz's wedding entrance. In case you're one of the 12 people who haven't seen it, the Minnesota couple and bridal party danced their way down the aisle to Chris Brown's "Forever," and the result was pure joy. I've been to a lot of weddings, and a few of them incorporated choreography in a way that was ... unfortunate. However, this couple and their friends were true to the idea that a wedding is (or should be) a celebration.

While most of the feedback has been positive, a few people have griped that the routine was inappropriate for a church. I say poppycock. It's not like they were grinding to Li'l Wayne's "Lollipop." I grew up going to church, so I understand that it is The House of the Lord. But I also think human beings get huffy about things that God couldn't care less about. If that routine is at all indicative of the life these two will have together, I can't imagine the maker being anything but tickled.

4 comments:

That Hank said...

Not my style at all, but I got a kick out of it. Good for them!

I suspect any wedding I might have will involve keg beer.

E. Peterman said...

Hey, there is nothing wrong with a keg! Add some music, and you've got yourself a good party.

Christina said...

A point that was brought up to me, which I sadly think is true, is that if it were black people dancing down the aisle, this would be dismissed as ghetto. I would be gobsmacked if it were acclaimed as charming and slapped up on the Today Show.

I'm glad you didn't do it, to be honest. I can't dance as well as these folks, and they weren't dancing all that well! :-)

E. Peterman said...

I thought about that, too, Christina. It's definitely more unusual to see white people getting their groove on in this context, especially in Minnesota. I'd like to think that I'd have been just as charmed if it were us, though we both know it would have been done with extra ... creativity! However, here is proof that ghetto weddings have nothing to do with race:

http://tackyweddings.com/2008/10/30/outer-limits-tacky-150k-wedding-for-uk-16-year-old-girl-ugliest-dress-ever/